The Execution of All Things is Rilo Kiley's third album, released by Saddle Creek in 2002. Jenny Lewis is the known as the frontwoman, although guitarist Blake Sennett sings solo on two of the tracks. Both are the composers of every song on the album. As with most bands, the album has a distinct sound representing a stage in the band's continual evolution of sound.

Track Listing with Commentary
(For complete lyrics, visit http://www.modernrocklyrics.com/R/rilokiley_theexecutionofallthings.php)

1. The Good That Won't Come Out

it's all of the good that won't come out of them
and all the stupid lies they hide behind
it's such a big mistake
standing here on this frozen lake

For one who has never heard Rilo Kiley, this is an excellent song to introduce the band's unique folk-inspired indie rock sound. It showcases both Jenny Lewis' distinct vocals and the simple, clear lyrics that characterize their music.

2. Paint's Peeling

...and last night, where the road had started
last night, when my hands were choking you
last night, when the room and your moon was dipping
and last night, when the ropes were pulling you in

Jenny Lewis goes five steps further than she did in the first track to showcase her vocal talent and character. The changes in dynamics and tempo keep the listener interested. While still relatively simple and relaxing, the song gives more variation in vocal emotion.

3. The Execution Of All Things

And lastly, you’re all alone with nothing left but sleep.
But sleep never comes to you, it’s just the guilt and forever wakefulness of the weak.

In this track, the electric guitar definitely plays a larger role with solos leading into vocals and a more distinct sound of the bass. Jenny Lewis sings the harsh lyrics (i.e. "First we'll murder what matters to you and move onto your neighbors and kids.") in a beautifully indifferent and "pretty" style.

4. So Long

Watch me fly away
Through the night sky yeah
Now that all you touched
Has finally turned gray

This track is sung by Blake Sennett. I don't like his voice and I usually press skip when this song comes up. It sounds like he is doing a horrible immitatation of Jenny Lewis' voice. Five minutes and twenty-eight seconds later you hit a better track.

5. Capturing Moods

And I don’t mind waiting if it takes a long, long time.
I don’t mind braving the coldest winter of our time.
I don’t mind racing through our goodbyes.

This song has turned away from the almost-melancholy sound of the previous tracks with a positive sound and lyrics, without being too much like a Christian worship song.

6. A Better Son / Daughter

And sometimes when you’re on
You’re really fucking on
And your friends they sing along
And they love you
But the lows are so extreme
That the good seems fucking cheap
And it teases you for weeks in its absence

As a friend of mine said, "I love the way she sounds when she says 'fucking'." Lewis sings an anthem for those who get through everyday even when life is shitty. This uplifting track is definitely one of my favorites on the album.

7. Hail To Whatever You Found In The Sunlight That Surrounds You

Hail to those who have come from the sunlight that surrounds you
Pray for those who have gone from the sunlight that surrounds you

This is the closest to country music that the album offers. This is the closest to enjoying country music that I will get.

8. My Slumbering Heart

Tracing the lines in my face for
Something more beautiful than is there

Sleepy and unsure, Lewis describes invites us to listen to her dream. As before, we see more guitar solos and variation in style. This song departs from the country/folk sound back into the quicker-paced, almost pop-punk sound. The track is concluded with a short, childish and reminiscient piece that keeps the dreamy mood.

9. Three Hopeful Thoughts

And the hero that you hoped you'd be
Never seemed to show up

Another track by Blake Sennett. It kind of sucks.

10. With Arms Outstretched

It's 16 miles, to the promise land
and I promise you, I'm doing the best I can
now don't fool yourself in thinking you're more than a man
cause you'll probably end up dead

I love this track. It's a mix between a folk song and a sing along campfire song. Near the end, the drums and other voices kick in and make you want to clap and sing along too.

11. Spectacular Views

you never knew why you felt so good, in the strangest of places
like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late
and mall parking lots on holidays
there are no bad words for the coast today

This is no doubt the perfect track for concluding the album. There is a huge contrast between the first track and this one; you had the experience with Lewis' catchy lyrics, the pretty acoustic guitar riffs, and tap-your-feet beats, but now Rilo Kiley has shown you their talent in writing music that moves you, Lewis shows that she can hit high notes, and thus they conclude The Execution of All Things with a big bang.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.