"The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot" is a faux documentary released as part of the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. It was written by Peter Davison, and directed by his daughter Georgia Moffet. It tells the story of Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, the actors for the 5th, 6th, and 7th Doctors, to take place in the 50th Anniversary Special. Now getting well on to middle age and with the public and their families disinterested in their former roles in Doctor Who, the three still feel that they have a role to play in the show. Through a series of misadventures, the three end up getting on the set of the special, and although their end role in the show is small, they end feeling vindicated by being able to take part in history.

This show could be seen as somewhat of a "Galaxy Quest" for Doctor Who. Much of the humor is related to the history of the show: the three actors portraying themselves took on the role of the Doctor during a period that was (through no fault of theirs) generally seen as a nadir in the show's history. While poking light-hearted fun at the three, the show also reaffirms their importance, and the continuity of the show. In the 50 years of Doctor Who, there has been no one involved with the show who wasn't important. Along with the three main actors, the show also features Steven Moffat, Russel T. Davies, Paul McGann, John Barrowman, Peter Jackson, Ian McKellan, David Tennant, Matt Smith, Georgia Moffett, Sean Pertwee and David Troughton, amongst others. For a parody sketch, they certainly rounded up some talent. This story featured six actors who played the doctors, and two descendants of deceased actors. For a Doctor Who fan, it brings both warmth and humor. The only fault might be that for someone not well-versed in the history of Doctor Who, the jokes might be a bit obscure. But then, such people aren't the target audience.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.