Located in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK. Not to be confused with the other Forum in London. For the sake of anal detail, the address is:

The Forum
Fonthill Common
Fonthill
Tunbridge Wells
Kent
TN4 8YU

History

Originally a block of public toilets (the biggest in Europe for a while) built in the 1920s, it was leased from the council in 1992 by four locals who thought it would make a nice music venue. On January 15, 1993, The Forum officially opened with headline act, Foreheads in a Fishtank. The first band ever to play at The Forum were their support band, Joeyfat.

Since 1993, The Forum has been host to roughly twelve bands per week, and developed a dedicated fanbase and community. It is especially popular with the mid-teen crowd who perhaps also appreciate the somewhat lax approach to underage drinking and recreational drug use. Naturally it is dominated by local bands who tend (at the time of writing) to be punk, skacore, emocore, or nu-metal (see: Current musical trends I really hate).

However, The Forum also has a great record of hosting up-and-coming bands before they make it big. Examples include: Green Day, Oasis, Coldplay, Feeder, Muse, Placebo, Ocean Colour Scene, Stereophonics, Travis, Reel Big Fish, and many more. At the other end of the spectrum are the numerous once-huge acts who have dropped back down to the level of gigging at The Forum afterwards (Chumbawamba and Reef being the best examples).

Websites, Fanzines, etc.

The official Forum website is currently located at: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~twforum/ (please /msg me if that URL is out-of-date). There is also an excellent unofficial website called The Holy Toilet (http://www.holytoilet.com) which hosts the online version of Forum Fanzine, "BLAM!".

The official website is the place to check dates, book tickets, etc., while The Holy Toilet is a more subjective look at the music and the community.

Competitions

Various "battle of the bands"-style competitions have been organised in the past. Now it has all been formalised with the introduction of The Stable. The Stable operates over several rounds, with league tables for each round, and the top half of each league table going through to the next round. It is very popular with school bands who abuse the audience voting system by inviting all their friends. The organisers don't care about this because it means more money for them. Fortunately nobody takes The Stable too seriously, so it's a great way for local bands to gain much-needed exposure.

Sources:
http://www.holytoilet.com

A World of Ideas

The Forum is a radio show (and podcast) that has been running on the BBC World Service since 2009. The regular host is Bridget Kendall, the BBC's diplomatic correspondent - that diplomatic role is significant here. Several other people have acted as guest presenters at different times, recently including newscaster Zeinab Badawi and astronomer Martin Rees.

Every week the programme brings together three prominent international thinkers, usually from very disparate fields, to talk on a theme that somehow touches on all of their specialities. For example, the Forum on the notions of the 'real and virtual' brought in a ceramicist, a mathematician and someone who uses complex simulations to produce 3D images of decisive moments during catastrophic events. Some themes allow each guest interpret them in a completely different sense, as when the black hole episode talked about singularities, financial crises and memory holes. The usual format is for each guest to talk about their specialism for a while, with prompting from the host and interjections from the other guests. Besides allowing the programme to cover fascinatingly broad swathes of intellectual ground, having specialists from quite different fields encourages questions and perspectives of interest to intelligent outsiders, and hopefully interdisciplinary cross-pollination.

The Forum might be seen as a more chaotic, younger sister to BBC Radio 4's equally excellent In Our Time. Whereas the latter is a history of ideas, Forum is all about the exploration of ideas - In Our Time tries to cover all the major points about its topic of the week, where Forum goes for intrigue over comprehensiveness. Both shows aim to spread knowledge and encourage active thought, with Forum more focused on the debating side of things. It is also considerably more international in its selection of experts.

A regular feature of the show is the 'Sixty Second Idea to Change the World', in which one of the panelists has one minute to present a grand, revolutionary idea. The ideas range from the perfectly serious to the manifestly silly, with a slight tendency towards the latter. Once the sixty seconds are up an alarm goes, and the rest of the panel has a chance to raise objections and explore ramifications; the ideas are usually chosen more for their ability to provoke thought and debate than for their practicality. After the debate, the host reads out the reactions of a few viewers to the idea from the previous week. This part of the programme has its own web page and podcast where you can listen to the latest ideas, but oddly they disappear after a month even though you can download every episode of the Forum in its entirety in the BBC's extensive archive.

For all my love of music, the written word and screen media, I have been getting a great deal out of the spoken word lately - especially since I started actively downloading podcasts, rather than just listening to whatever happened to be on Radio 4. For a while you could have been forgiven for thinking that radio was a dying medium, but that is looking less and less likely: it may be enjoyed more and more over the internet, rather than by broadcast, but there will always be a place for a medium that we can tap into while cooking or going for long walks. I love the opportunity to chew over new ideas when I have just enough attention to spare, and I have yet to find anything that works better for that than the Forum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.