Aren't we really in the process of forming that political party even as we type? You spend any amount of time on /. and you'll hear enough rants and raves about the beauty and power of open source. Groups like FSF and the Open Source Initiative are inherently political, even if not overtly and explicitly so.

Here's one of the guiding principles of the Internet Society:
"No discrimination in use of the Internet on the basis of race, color, gender, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status."

That's the first plank of my geek-party platform! =P

I'm sorry, but I really don't believe that geeks are somehow inherently more accepting of the different than any other old shmo. It's just that the standards are different.

Anyone who listened to a sysadmin talk about his "lusers" or a helpdesk droid tell anecdotes of her callers will lose any illusion that geeks are somehow more tolerant. They're more tolerant towards other geeks. That's about it.

A political party made entirely out of geeks is just as much of a bad idea as a political party which embraces any other group to the exclusion of others.

/me furtively wishes that people would stop thinking that a bad social record and a history of being bullied at school coupled with technical inclinations are something to be proud of.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.