187

What would thou be found doing when overtaken by Death?

If I might choose, I would be found doing some deed of true humanity, of wide import, beneficent and noble.

But if I may not be found engaged in aught so lofty, let me hope at least for this--what none may hinder, what is surely in my power--that I may be found raising up in myself that which had fallen; learning to deal more wisely with the things of sense; working out my own tranquillity, and thus rendering that which is its due to every relation of life. . . .

If death surprises me thus employed, it is enough if I can stretch forth my hands to God and say,

"The faculties which I received at Thy hands for apprehending this thine Administration, I have not neglected. As far as in me lay, I have done Thee no dishonour. Behold how I have used the senses, the primary conceptions which Thou gave me. Have I ever laid anything to Thy charge? Have I ever murmured at aught that came to pass, or wished it otherwise? Have I in anything transgressed the relations of life? For that Thou did beget me, I thank Thee for that Thou has given: for the time during which I have used the things that were Thine, it suffices me. Take them back and place them wherever Thou will! They were all Thine, and Thou gave them to me."

If a man depart thus minded, is it not enough? What life is fairer and more noble, what end happier than his?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.