This song is a classic one sung at Boy Scout camps in days past. Its not as common any more, the boys don't know it, but you can be sure that every scoutmaster knows it.

One year, at Camp Castle Rock (Four Lakes Council), when the adults at camp that week realized that the vast majority of the youth didn't know the song, they got up in front of the campfire together as a group and sang it - bass, baritone, and tenors. No voice was 'practiced' or 'professional' but yet, it all came together as if they were a musical group that had been singing together for years. In a way, they have - its a song that they have been singing with scouts since they were kids and only able to remember the chorus. Since then, they have learned every word. Every val-deri brings back those memories so many years ago. One can only hope that the youth at that campfire remember the song years from now and that it brings a tear to their eye too as they remember campfires of years long past.


I love to go a-wandering,
Along the mountain track,
And as I go, I love to sing,
My knapsack on my back.

Chorus:
Val-deri,Val-dera,
Val-deri,
Val-dera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Val-deri,Val-dera.
My knapsack on my back.

I love to wander by the stream
That dances in the sun,
So joyously it calls to me,
"Come! Join my happy song!"

I wave my hat to all I meet,
And they wave back to me,
And blackbirds call so loud and sweet
From ev'ry green wood tree.

High overhead, the skylarks wing,
They never rest at home
But just like me, they love to sing,
As o'er the world we roam.

Oh, may I go a-wandering
Until the day I die!
Oh, may I always laugh and sing,
Beneath God's clear blue sky!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.