The Human Experiment

Hidden deep in an obscure corner of the underground Web, amongst the advertisements for hired killers, subversive literature, and child pornography, is a website set up as a record of a series of ongoing experiments that have been and are being conducted in three (perhaps soon to be increased to four) warehouses whose location is as obscure as that of the site. And all these security measures have been put into place for a very good reason, as the nature of the experiments conducted at these warehouses forces those conducting the research to break a good number of laws.

The subjects of the Human Experiments are, as you might assume, all human, and the implication seems to be that all ideas of consent and human rights are of no concern to those running the experiments. The subjects are 'usually homeless people that are unregistered citizens', and 'nutritional status is usually irrelevant as none of the test subjects survive long enough, except the pregnant women'. They are kept in cells overnight in an unguarded warehouse, and taken to another warehouse when their services are needed. The experiments are organized and run by a team of three medical residents, two medical interns, six medical students, and three nurses. The entire project seems to be not for profit (or, at least, there is no mention of sources of funding on its onion site, or even an option to donate money to the project), and the medical personnel all seem to be volunteers, giving up their own free time to work on these experiments.

There are (soon to be) four warehouses in operation. Warehouse 1 is put aside exclusively for female test subjects, and experiments here are mainly around fertility/sterility. Warehouse 2 is for housing mothers and their children, and experiments here are conducted on the children. Warehouse 3 is for various experiments on mixed subjects, and warehouse 4 is still under construction. Currently, they are exploring foetal tolerance to bleach (female subjects older than 16 are impregnated and bleach is injected daily directly into the uterus), and cold tolerance tests (subjects are placed in near-freezing water until death). The dissected bodies of deceased subjects are left in dumpsters behind butchers' shops.

The ethical implications of these experiments might seem obvious, especially in our post-Nazi Germany world. We've all learnt our lesson and are now as a race old and wise enough to realize that it itself was a failed experiment. And while we've been building towards a more mature sense of sentimentality and empathy for our fellow man in the time since then, we've neglected certain other aspects of the human equation which have sadly weakened and atrophied. The human species, as a singular entity, is far greater than the sum of its parts, and it is the whole that should be nurtured as well as, and, if necessary, at the expense of the individual. And it seems to me that if it is necessary for the prevention of a thousand or more miscarriages due to e.g. industrial pollutants, to deliberately expose a handful of (non-tax-paying, however much that's worth) pregnant women to substances that could potentially cause harm to the foetus, bring on a miscarriage and at the same time, increase mankind's understanding of this subject, then surely that is, overall, a good thing- at least on paper (I'm not convinced that everybody working on these experiments has the same goals in mind).

The onion site can be found at xqz3u5drneuzhaeo.onion/users/experiments/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.