A book by Whitley Strieber, later turned into a movie starring Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon and David Bowie. The movie, which is somewhat of a cult favorite, varies a bit from the book, though both are interesting in their own rights.

The book offers the story of Miriam Blaylock, a woman made a vampire thousands of years ago. A lonely gal, as one might figure a vampire might be, she takes on companions from time to time. Unfortunately, her companions only survive the vampire lifestyle for so long- for some reason they can't perservere the way she does. Every loss of lover saddens her, but she continues drinking blood and averting all damnations coming her way. Strieber wrote this before his alien obsession and it is vastly different from his later books, such as "Communion" and "Transformation." Also good reads- and perhaps scarier since they are supposedly based on truth.

The movie, released in 1983 and directed by Tony Scott, focuses on the modern-day Miriam, who's wreaking havoc with Bowie in city nightlife and on those they offer violin lessons at their home. Her lover, however, finds himself aging in an absurdly fast manner and desperately begins searching for help- which comes by way of Susan Sarandon. Or she tries, rather.

I saw this movie for the first time when I was 12, and I was surprised to see the passionate sex scene with Deneuve and Sarandon. The movie opens with a club scene and the ever-popular Bauhaus song "Bela Lugosi's Dead" being performed by Peter Murphy. Saw this film later in a theater, and a gang of goths arose from their seats to dance in front of the screen during the opening.

Good stuff, all in all.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.