The sequel to The Infinity Gauntlet, and the second series in the 'Infinity Trilogy'. Published by Marvel Comics. It's another six issue miniseries, and to explain this one, I'm going to have to give a little history.

WARNING: This does spoil the ending of The Infinity Gauntlet!

At the end of The Infinity Gauntlet, Adam Warlock gained control of the Infinity Gauntlet. During the interlude between the two series, he had it stripped from him by The Living Tribunal on grounds of mental instability. However, using the Infinity Gauntlet, Adam Warlock had already unconsciouly cast out all good and evil inside of himself in an effort to be more stable as God. After he lost his power, he still had his good and evil sides running about. The Infinity War centers around the battle with his evil side, the Magus.

The Magus is clever, and toys with the heroes throughout the entire series. He sends out dopplegangers of all of Earth's heroes, some of which end up taking over the bodies of their originals. This leads to all sorts of havoc, as no one can tell which heroes are kosher after Reed Richards (taken over by his doppleganger) explodes a gamma bomb on a gathering of heroes he called. The heroes survive, but the Magus and Thanos' doppleganger whisk away the hero dopplegangers before they can be stopped. The heroes are now really confused, because they think the Magus is Adam Warlock, and the Thanos copy is the real thing. This creates a big problem when the heroes run into Adam Warlock, the Infinity Watch, and Thanos, who are also trying to stop the Magus. Unfortunately, the other heroes think Warlock and Co. are the problem, so there's a huge fight. Manipulations and misunderstandings abound, with everything going as the Magus plans. The only wild cards are Dr. Doom and Kang, but they're villains themselves. Everything plays right into the Magus' hands. You'll have to read the books if you want to find out how the heroes finally manage to beat him.

Reading this miniseries is like reading nine issues of material crammed into six. It is definitely worth a read, despite having an ending that's a bit of a cop-out. (I'll just say that I would have thought that the Magus would have been smarter than he was in the end.) There was also an unnecesarily large amount of crossovers with this series, and although some were mildly entertaining, most were just, "Hero fights his doppleganger", and kind of pointless.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.