Yeah, I know this sounds a like 'a bit much', but seriously, it's an interesting idea... at least I think so...

I don’t know if anyone else does this but when I build something with Lego it has to look good at every stage of construction. Now, I don’t mean it has to look frilly or finished, or even that it has to look like something, but it always has to be coherent and pleasing to the eye.

Even if I’m building a core support piece that will be covered up and never seen again, every layer must be designed in a complexly beautiful yet ultimately useful fashion. My Lego constructs usually get quite large and rather abstract, but they always have to be completely interlocking and continuous for strength and durability, as well as for qualities like smoothness and flow.

What this suggest to me is that so much of structure cannot be appreciated from the outside; great works of architecture can probably only be appreciated from a four dimensional perspective. In truly timeless works of three dimensions, those aspects which are perhaps the most fundamental are those that remain forever unseen.



Addendum: I just realized another principle, derived directly from the one above; architecture at its finest must be complexly porous in order that one can observe and enjoy its inner structure. It’s all about maximizing the surface area of your art. Fractalicious.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.