The term Late Quaternary Extinction first appeared in David Quammen's book of short articles Natural acts

Looking through geologic history he includes our own with a backwards glance from a future paleontologist, in line with all the other extinctions to sum up our current situation this way:

"Finally and most dramatically, the Late Quaternary Extinction, during which more than a million species of living things perished within just a century. This quickest of all mass extinctions occurred (according to the local time system) in the span 1914-2014 A.D. The main cause was once again habitat loss, and the agent of that loss was the killer-primate Homo Sapiens, now itself extinct. Sapiens unaccountably violated the first rule of a successful parasite: moderation. Sapiens was suicidally rapacious.
That’s the way it will look to some being on the Planet Tralfamadore with an idle interest in the paleontology of Earth. Life has existed on this mudball for about 3 ½ billion years, and we are just now in the midst of what looks to shape up as the third great mass extinction of all species. This episode threatens to be larger in consequence than the Permian and the Cretaceous and the other major die-offs put together: one-fifth of all forms of earthly organism could be done within thirty years."

While we can't be certain of the accuracy of his prediction there no shortage of opinion that concur with him in ecological circles, though perhaps not many would state it quite as bluntly as he does.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.