A crazy, yet interesting effect that is probably more coincidence than anything. In 1960, Maharishi predicted that one percent of a population practicing the Transcendental Meditation technique would produce measurable improvements in the quality of life for the whole population. Fourteen years later this phenomenon was fist noticed in the studies of Borland and Landrith. They observed 11 cities in the USA where 1% of the population had been practicing the Transcendental Meditation Technique for two years. They looked at things like crime rate, sickness, and accident rates, along with corresponding improvements in economic and social trends. Then they compared this with other cities that had similar population sizes and geographic location. They found that when 1% of a city's population practiced Transcendental Meditation the trend of rising crime rate was reversed, indicating increasing order and harmony. Numerous other experiments have been conducted with positive results. In some experiments violent crimes went down as much as 23% for the city.

According to the Maharishi, "The formula for the Maharishi Effect has its theoretical basis in principles of physics which describe how coherent influences combine to create a phase transition to greater orderliness."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.