The Man from Snowy River(1982) directed by George Miller with Tom Burlinson and Kirk Douglas.

Traditional boy's coming of age set against the red rocks of remote Australian mountains. (I was able to see this in the theater, and the scenery is awe-inspiring.) Tom Burlinson is Jim Craig, the young man who must prove his manhood by earning the land his father left with his death. Although the land is his, he must earn the right to live in the mountain community. The wild brumbies, a group of runaway horses, give Jim the chance he needs to prove himself--by taming the brumbies Jim can gain respect, get the girl (Sigrid Thornton), and recapture the horses that trampled and killed his father.

The acting is no more than passable, but the incredible scenery and soundtrack (composed by Bruce Rowland) make it remarkably refreshing.

"The Man from Snowy River" is probably the second most well known poem in Australia, right after "Waltzing Matilda", and both were written by Andrew Barton Paterson, known as "Banjo" Paterson. It is a tale of horsemanship and amazing feats thereof. Most people over five can quote the opening lines:

"There was movement at the station, for the word had passed around,
That the colt from old Regret had got away,
And had joined the wild bush horses - he was worth a thousand pound,
So all the cracks had gathered to the fray."

I would like to put the lyrics in here, but I think copyright laws still apply. Please msg me if I am wrong.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.