Do you use an alternitive operating system like Linux, Unix, BSD, OS/2, Solaris, BeOS, etc? Are you planning on buying a new computer from an OEM? Are you going to put that OS onto that computer? If so, you may be entitled to a refund from Microsoft.

Over at linuxmall, they describe it as "The Microsoft Tax". That's the extra amount of money you pay on your computer because the OEM pre-installs Windows onto the computer for you. You may not want it, but you still pay for Windows and you can't get around it; or can you?
At LinuxMall, they describe a way for you to get a portion/full refund from Microsoft for the unused OS. Before ever starting the computer, insert the boot disk for the desired OS, boot into the installer and install the OS. If you don't agree to Microsoft's EULA on Windows, you are entitled to a refund! So write into Microsoft and request the refund.
However, the refunds have not all been granted, and certain wording in the EULA may provide a loophole so Microsoft does not have to grant you your refund. If you are interested in the refund visit http://www.linuxmall.com/refund for more info. If you have submitted for the refund, are going to, or have been granted a refund, I'd like to hear about it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.