well, really Jun 25 2000 at 03:33:37

I do not know which of the Nine Muses is the Muse Of Noding.

I only know that she is a fickle and often heartless spirit. She is a mistress who cares little for the feelings of her admirers, and then, for only the briefest of periods.

Even now, in my callow days of noding, I know that long periods of time will pass without so much the inspiration to write a nodeshell. For a while I can content myself with taking dry empty facts and saying something interesting about them.

Nonetheless, I eventually reach the point where even voting down incorrect factual nodes holds no joy.

Then, suddenly, I am taken up by the Muse into the heights of inspiration. Something is inside me and it MUST COME OUT. The whole night passes while I research some obscure detail. My obsession grows until my intellectual progeny has spilled itself forth entirely into the Edit control.

Then comes the vital decision: Which button to click on? Person and Place are usually straightforward enough, but when does an Idea become a Thing? I cannot make up my mind! But I MUST!

I decide, and My heart races and the stress builds while I watch the hourglass. There it is! My offspring appears on the screen! But it lies exposed, vulnerable to the world.

Alas! I detect a flaw! I must correct it before the others see it! I want my precious new node to be loved by others as much as I love it.

And then, as quickly as she has swept me up, my Muse drops me into the pit of despair. I sit, numbly clicking on random nodes. The up votes bring me little solace. The down votes only confirm my self-loathing.

I know those who are more experienced than I must also ride this roller coaster. How do they keep from smashing the monitor screen and impaling themselves on the shards?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.