The New Earth Festival is a giant gathering of fair vendors of all sorts that takes place on the streets of Atlanta, Indiana every year in September. In fact... It takes place in just about all the streets of Atlanta. It's not a large town. The booths obscuring the entire town may be seen to contain arts, crafts, food, nostalgia, food, toys, food, and many other fine wares such as little bike reflector whatsits and Three wolf Moon sweatshirts.

Also, the intersection of the county line with State Road 19 gets backed up for half a mile, just west of my own dear domicile. Delightful! There's no practical way to get around that intersection to get to the fair, either. As the subdivisions expand yearly into the empty field on that corner, the parking gets more packed and farther away from the festivities. We'll see how they end up handling that.

There is very little specific appeal to the festival; there are no 'special events' or 'exhibit halls' like the Indiana State Fair. Yet each year, hundreds of thousands of people bombard the town of Atlanta with their cars and their money. There are no rides, there are no games, there are no celebrity signing booths, and there is definitely no beauty pagent. Really, the only distinguishing thing about the fair is that it is visited by a train from the Indiana Transportation Museum which drops off and returns a few visitors. (http://www.itm.org/events/new_earth.htm).

So, that's the Earth Festival for you. Yup.

Honestly, I go every year, and every year I'm astounded by how little there is to do but eat and scan for shit I couldn't possibly justify buying. Oh, wait! This one year, there was a booth selling shareware for $3.00 and I bought good old Jill of the Jungle on a 5-1/4 inch floppy. And one time some Native Americans there had an outdoor booth with a big picture of a nude lady, but the booth was gone when I came back after an hour. And one time I bought some pogs, as if I had friends to play pogs with. I might as well have bought myself a good horse for Polo.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.