The Original Hot Dog Shop, known to those who frequent it as "The O", is truly a Pittsburgh landmark. It has two locations, one on Forbes Avenue near the University of Pittsburgh and one at the university center at Carnegie Mellon University. Aside from being a popular hangout for college students, The O has several distinguishing characteristics.

First and foremost among these is the quantity of french fries that comes with each order. A small order of fries is slightly larger than the amount of fries that you would get in a large fry at McDonald's. A large fry covers an entire cafeteria tray and can easily feed 3 football players or 8 college students. Fries come with tubs of ketchup, but for a small additional cost, you can also get mustard, cheese, mayonnaise, or gravy.

The O by University of Pittsburgh is the main location, and is open later than any other eatery in the area. On weeknights, the Original Hot Dog Shop stays open until 4 am, and on weekends until 5 am. However, this late-night convenience does not come without a price. The O is frequently the site of crime, and it is a rare night when you can drive past the O without seeing three or four police cars parked outside. To pay for this security, there is a "late-night security surcharge" after midnight.

The O was opened in 1960 by Sidney Simon, and will probably continue to be a Pittsburgh tradition for as long as there are college students looking for cheap, greasy food available at any time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.