A 1970 made-for-TV animated film, conceived by Harry Nilsson. A product of the 60s, vaguely psychedelic (though it was meant for "kids of all ages")... "Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it." Okay. Guess you had to be there. Nilsson's semi-signature tune "Me and My Arrow" came from this. Mike Lookinland (TV's Bobby Brady) did the voice of Oblio. Dustin Hoffman was the original narrator; the current version has Ringo Starr.

The Point, although created as a family film possesses many existentialist concepts. A young boy, Oblio is banished from his home because he lacked a visible point (on the top of his head). Throughout Oblio and Arrow's (ref: previous nodes) journey from The Land of Point to The Pointed Forest they meet quite a few characters, namely The Rock Man. The Rock Man presents to Oblio and Arrow the idea that, simply because one does not have an apparent/visible point (on the top of their head) they are not in fact pointless, per the reason they were kicked out of The Land of Point.

The Rock Man explains the relationship between the physical point and the theoretical point. As Oblio and Arrow return to The Land of Point after their journey to The Pointed Forest they come to the realization that maybe Oblio's theoretical point is to infact be, pointless.

In conclusion,

the point of The Point is that everything has a point, even if that point is to be, pointless.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.