A concept developed by Saul Kripke in his exposition of Ludwig Wittgenstein's private language and rule-following arguments in the latter's Philosophische Untersuchungen.

In the PU Wittgenstein spent some time developing the idea that we (or at least a sceptic) can interpret our actions according to a rule that we would not want to assert that we are following. In his 1982 Wittgenstein On Rules and Priave Language: An Elementary Exposition, Kripke's sceptic attacks the assumption that we can know that by the sign "+" we have always intended the arithmetical plus function (i.e., normal addition). Kripke's skeptic claims that perhaps by the sign "+" we have always intended the quus function.

Quus is identical to plus in every respect except that if either of the two arguments on either side of the "+" sign are numerals greater than 56, then the numeral that belongs after the "=" sign is aways 5. Kripke: "The sceptic claims (or feigns to claim) that I am now misinterpreting my own previous usage. By 'plus' he says, I always meant quus" (page 9).

Wittgenstein's response to quus theorizing (the concept has become a familiar trope within the rhetoric of analytic philosophy, to be sure) begins around Philosophische Untersuchungen 199 and Philosophische Untersuchungen 202: relevant sections begin at Philosophische Untersuchungen 143 and continue all the way through the private language arguments around Philosophische Untersuchungen 294.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.