These were issues that arose as a result of the Lateran Treaty and were subsequently addressed by the same:

Roman Catholicism is the only state religion of Italy and that Italy recognizes the new state called Vatican City as fully sovereign and independent.

Italy guarantees Vatican City public services and protection and recognizes as parts of it certain buildings not actually within Vatican City.

The Italian government will punish crimes committed within Vatican City, when so requested, and the Holy See will extradite to Italy persons accused of acts recognized by both parties as crimes.

As to the reestablishment of canon law in Italy, matrimony is a sacrament, and banns must be published: nullification of marriages is a question for the church, while separations are adjudicated by the state.

Religion is to be taught in primary and secondary schools, and the Holy See guarantees that Roman Catholic organizations will abstain from politics.

The Italian government is to consider the person of the pope sacred and inviolable.

The Holy See, pursuant to its perpetual mission of peace, will remain apart from temporal competitions of other states and from international congresses for peace, unless a unanimous appeal is made to its mission.

The Holy See announced in the treaty that it had proper liberty, that the Roman Question was closed, and that it recognized the kingdom of Italy under the house of Savoy.

The Lateran Treaty remained in effect after the monarchy was abolished at the end of World War II. A concordat was put into effect in 1985 that modified the treaty. The most important modification being that Roman Catholicism is no longer the state religion of Italy. The sovereignty of Vatican City was still to be recognized.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.