A "historical" novel by Baroness Orczy. The plot surrounds an Englishman named Sir Percy Blakeney who assumes many disguises in order to rescue innocent members of French royalty from certain beheading at the hands of the revoloutionaries. His calling card is of course the blood-red flower known as the Scarlet Pimpernel.

A Broadway musical based on the novel by the same name, it is about an Englishman named Sir Percy Blakeney and is set in England and France during the French Revolution.

Between trips to France to save innocent members of the French royalty from being put in the guillotine and getting beheaded, he acts as a complete fop. He marries Marguerite, a French actress who used to spy for the French. When he discovers his wife's occupation, he distrusts her and act distant, nearly ruining their marrage. The Scarlet Pimpernel's (Percy's heroic alter-ego) actions attract the attentions of Chauvelin, a Frenchman revolutionary and former lover of Marguerite. The story revolves around this love triangle, Percy's attempts to hide the fact that he is the Scarlet Pimpernel, and Chauvelin's attempt to foil Percy (as the Pimpernel).

The soundtrack (Original Broadway Cast Recording) is 1 CD with 25 tracks:

    Act I:
  1. Overture - Instrumental (1:30)
  2. Madam Guillotine (2:49)
  3. Believe (2:07)
  4. Vivez! (4:17)
  5. Prayer (3:35)
  6. Into the Fire (3:50)
  7. Falcon in the Dive (3:10)
  8. When I Look at You (3:59)
  9. The Scarlet Pimpernel (2:43)
  10. Where's the Girl? (3:20)
  11. When I Look at You (Reprise) (2:20)
  12. The Creation of Man (3:41)
  13. Marguerite's Dilemma - Instrumental (1:39)
  14. The Riddle (3:05)

  15. Act II:
  16. Entr'acte - Instrumental (2:40)
  17. They Seek Him Here (3:00)
  18. Only Love (4:06)
  19. She Was There (3:06)
  20. Storybook (3:08)
  21. Where's the Girl (Reprise) (1:12)
  22. Lullaby (1:15)
  23. You Are My Home (3:32)
  24. The Duel - Instrumental (0:30)
  25. Believe (Reprise) (1:15)
  26. Into the Fire (Reprise) (0:54)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.