On July 13, 2004, the same day They Might Be Giants released their tenth full length album The Spine, they also released a set of 7 studio recordings in an Extended Play (EP) record titled "The Spine Surfs Alone" from a session that occurred after the sessions for The Spine. Making these recordings even more "new" than those on the new album The Spine.

The CD is a web exclusive on their www.theymightbegiants.com site, not to be confused with their www.tmbg.com site. The former is run by the while the latter is run by their record label. Each copy of the album includes a special enhanced animation video for "Im All You Can Think About" created by John Linnell.

Highlights on the album include "Now Is Strange," with its high, 80s new wave esque vocals and the quirky and slightly romantic (in true TMBG fashion) "I'm All You Can Think About" that includes the fantastic backup chant of "Me, me, me, me, me."

Other songs include the goofy "Skullivan" and "Fun Assassin," which features Spacehog drummer Jonny Cragg on vocals. "The Other Side of the World" is light, instrumental song. The title track provides a nice jump start to the quick album and "Canada Haunts Me" provides an odd, quick conclusion, which features a mention to fifty-four forty or fight, which possibly might make this the second TMBG song about James K. Polk.

The tracklist is as follows:

1. The Spine Surfs Alone

2. Now Is Strange

3. I'm All You Can Think About

4. Fun Assassin

5. Skullivan

6. The Other Side of the World

7. Canada Haunts Me

"The Spine Surfs Alone" is actually the third official release of new material this year from They Might Be Giants. Other than this and The Spine, an EP Indestructible Object was released in April 2004.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.