A strong singularity scenario in which the creation of the first general assembler is followed by an instant surge in the availability of material items. The idea is that by the time we manage to actually build a general assembler, rather than more limited industrial assemblers, we will have accumulated a huge number of basic designs for nearly everything that we want. There will be off the shelf nanotech blueprints for everything needed for day to day life: clothes, food, transportation, medication, games, sporting equipment, mousepads, furniture, etc. Two weeks after the creation of the first general assembler, all of this will have percolated through society and we'll be left trying to deal with the after effects of sudden boundless material wealth.

Even if one were to grant that all (or even most) of the basic designs exist, itself a dubious proposition, there is a more subtle flaw in this idea. Essentially, all of these designs for real, honest-to-goodness, I can pick it up and smack you upside the head with it physical objects are nothing more than pieces of software; software that has never been tested. They're not actually even software yet--they're source code that's never even been fed through a compiler. Regardless of how good our programming tools are none of those initial designs are going to work. Most of them probably won't even build structurally stable objects, they'll just disintegrate into dust, or fail to materialize, or something.

This revolution will take more than two weeks.

Back to Transhumanist Terminology

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.