British rock band, now sadly defunct.
Led by the charismatic & talented Ginger, they were a welcome dose of old-school rock attitude in the rather dull rock arena of the mid-90's.
Mixing sledgehammer riffing with the pop sensibilities of Cheap Trick, they gave their fans punchy, memorable songs, topped off with some fiercely honest & funny lyrics from Ginger.

Lineup changes were frequent, and this, along with the band's propensity for "overindulgence" pushed them to breakup dozens of times over their lifespan.

They eventually split for good in late 1999, leaving behind them hundreds of songs & a fiery reputation that puts many of todays "bad boys of rock" to shame.

Recommended listening:

"Just In Lust"
"Greetings From Shitsville"
"Caffeine Bomb"
"Two-Way Idiot Mirror"
"If Life Is Like A Love-Bank, I Want An Overdraft"


Wildhearts Discography

Albums:

Don't Be Happy, Just Worry
Earth Vs. The Wildhearts
P.H.U.Q.
Fishing For Luckies
Endless, Nameless
The Best Of The Wildhearts
Landmines & Pantomines
Tokyo Suits Me (Japanese release only)

Singles:

Greetings From Shitsville
T.V. Tan
Caffeine Bomb
Suckerpunch
If Life Is Like A Lovebank, I Want An Overdraft/Geordie In Wonderland
I Wanna Go Where The People Go
Just In Lust
Sick Of Drugs
Red Light, Green Light
Anthem (2 versions)
Urge (2 versions)

There are also dozens of bootleg & semi-official (disowned by the band, but released by their label) albums floating around, but as they aren't officially recognised as part of the band's output, I've omitted them.

Being as that I'just seen the Wildhearts playing at Bradford Rio's, I thought I should place a brief addition to this fine node. The Wildhearts reformed, following the Nth rehabilitation of Danny McCormack from his perennial nemesis, heroin. The Wildhearts are now back, recording new material, and a very much welcome sight on the sometimes disconcertingly homogenous hard rock/metal scene.

Numerous side projects have been undertaken by the disparate members of the Wildhearts in the inter-Wildhearts years, notably Silver Ginger Five with, funnily enough, Ginger, The Yoyos with Danny, Grand Theft Audio and no doubt a number of others that I'm sure to hear of from purists soon enough...

The current line up of The Wildhearts consists of, to the general relief of fans, Danny (looking a little less ill than he has for a while) on bass, Ginger holding sway on guitar and lead vocals, Stidi on the drums and CJ on guitar.

The latest addition to The Wildhearts extensive discography should also now be duly noted. Vanilla Radio, a storming, riff-laden beast, hits the shelves in the UK today, Monday 30th September.

The Wildhearts, an otherwise interesting British metal band of the nineties, were without a bassist in the early days after their inception, and came up with an imaginative but ultimately self-destructive method for obtaining one.

Danny Wildheart, in his pre-smack days, used to enjoy telling how his 'test' for joining them was to take a heavy dose of LSD whilst illegally scampering about on the roof of The Marquee Club in London. After successfully completing this ritual, Danny played bass for The Wildhearts, yet the band itself has dissolved and re-formed almost countless times due to the various problems of the members. Mostly drug related.

...though I must say, after attending a Wildhearts gig whilst under the influence of LSD I can perhaps see the logic of it all...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.