“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”


American author Patrick Rothfuss partnered with DAW books to publish The Wise Man’s Fear in 2011. Second novel of the Kingkiller Chronicle, this book encompasses “day 2” of Kote’s three-day tale to the traveling Chronicler.

Within the autobiographical narrative part of the novel, Kvothe is coming into his own: his powers are deepening, his crafting genius expressing itself, and his enemies become more powerful and exert more force against his life. We revisit the Chandrian and their backstory, we examine the relationships Kvothe forms with his friends, his Eolian audience, and his love interest. We soak in the soothing waters of Rothfuss’ narrative voice, and wrap ourselves in metaphors of competence and adventure.

We learn what it takes to have a ring carved of bone to be dropped in your calling dish.

If you have time for only one fantasy novel this year, go read The Name of the Wind and then come back to this one. The Kingkiller Chronicle is a wonderful tale, and deserves a spot on every modern bookshelf.

The Wise Man’s Fear debuted at the top of the New York Times fantasy list, and attained number one fiction in less than a month. It was deemed both a critical and commercial success.


BQ-07-231

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.