A friend of mine, who just so happens to be a girl, asked me if this statistic was true. I replied:
Well, it's not technically true. We don't think:
food-food-food-food-food-food-sex-math-math-math-math-math-math-
sex-e2-e2-e2-e2-e2-e2-sex
It's more like:
food-food-math-math-e2-e2-...60 minutes...-ASCII Porn-ASCII Porn-ASCII Porn-....10 minutes...Lather, Rinse, Repeat
The important words is average. If we apply the distributive property, we get: The Average Male Thinks About Sex, on Average, Every Seven Seconds. A similar truism is "The Average Human Sleeps Every Third Second". Even though we don't work-work-sleep, we do work-work-...16 Hours...-sleep-sleep-...8 Hours.
So even though 68% of Statistics are madeup, and the seven seconds part of this one is probably an urban legend, it is true...if we use mathematical logic on standard english.
The problem with defining how much people think about things like sex is like the Hawthorne Effect.

When was the last time I thought about sex? I'm not sure. If it was a casual thought, it's like asking 'When did you last think about blowing your nose?'. I didn't think about thinking about it. If, after hearing that The Average Male Thinks About Sex Every Seven Seconds, you decide to monitor your thoughts and see if you are thinking about sex every seven seconds, the test will be contaminated: You are thinking about sex in the context of looking for thoughts about it.

The statement can neither be proven true nor false, because any monitoring the subject is aware of will effect the result, and the subject must be aware in order to mointor.

Probably the best way to investigate the statement would be to get a brain activity scanner, record the area showing the most activity when the investigate-e is shown pornography, and recording how often activity is shown in that area. The problem would be stopping the people partaking in the investigation figuring out the subject of the investigation, or for that matter getting them to agree to the investigation without knowing what was happening.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.