This happened sometime in March, just before Spring Break.

I had just sat down at my computer and hadn't even opened an application yet. I was just moving the mouse around idly, when all of a sudden the screen went blank.

"That's odd," I thought, "the screen doesn't usually do that..."

I pressed a few keys on the keyboard and started moving the mouse around, figuring the monitor somehow went into power saving mode. All of a sudden...

BOOM!

I jumped out of my chair, stood motionless for a moment, and then dove for the surge protector and hit the emergency shutoff button. The screen didn't actually explode, per say, but the sound definitely came from inside the monitor and I could swear I was starting to smell smoke. I called my friend up to help me assess the damage. We couldn't find anything outwardly wrong, so we waited another five minutes and then valiantly tried to power up the system again. The PC was fine, but the picture on the screen had resolved itself into a single horizontal line. (I somehow still managed to input my BIOS password and boot up Windows to run Norton.)

We got an ancient monitor out of the storage room--the thing must've been at least ten years old--and to my amazement, the thing actually worked once I turned the resolution down. We took the old monitor apart--the main board had *completely* burned itself out. It was actually charred and blackened. So, like any good American, we threw it off the side of the building into the adjacent alley, and that was the end of that.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.