It is the nature of modern humanity to think in terms of production, function, and utility. This is as much true for modern scientists and doctors as it is for business executives and assembly line managers. In the realm of human biology, scientists have tried to explain the workings of the brain and nervous system in terms of positive production, which would seem to be reasonable. However, in his book, "The Doors of Perception," Aldous Huxley adheres to a different theory put forth by Broad and Bergson. "The suggestion is that the function of the brain and nervous system and sense organs is in the main eliminative and not productive. Each person is at each moment capable of remembering all that has ever happened to him and of perceiving everything that is happening everywhere in the universe. The function of the brain and nervous system is to protect us from being overwhelmed and confused by this mass of largely useless and irrelevant knowledge, by shutting out most of what we should otherwise perceive or remember at any moment, and leaving only that very small and special selection which is likely to be practically useful." (The Doors of Perception, pages 22-23).

Implications....?
Is it possible to access our "Mind at Large"?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.