The first time I saw this sign, on the first-floor toilets, I thought, "I must be in some kind of alternate universe."
Apparently I was just in an alternate university. Meet TAU - Tel Aviv University, and it's two (at least) second-floor handicapped-friendly toilets.

They are basically saying,

"Dear Mr. Handicapped person,
We've gone out of our way to make toilets that you can use in comfort, because we know how difficult moving around is for you. So, to be able to go to the comfortable toilets, all you have to do is slip out of your wheelchair, climb up this flight of stairs using your arms, holding the wheelchair by your teeth. At the top (should you succeed reaching it), get back in and comfortably urinate in a toilet we made sure could accomodate you."

And I wondered how come there are no handicapped people studying computer science at TAU. I think TAU should change it's motto to "We Care."

I'm going operate under a few assumptions on this one. One, that TAU does have handicapped-accessable facilities on the lower floor (Because Israel is a modern country, and if they don't have any on the lower floor someone needs to find the Dean and break his toes), but they don't have elevators due possibly to the age of the building or some other issue that would preclude the movement of a wheechair to the upper level. I completely understand footprints' point, but there is the problem that this supposition is operating on what could be a damaging assumption.

Now then, I have to ask why everyone insists that accessable facilities are only used by people in wheelchairs, when this is certainly not the case. While wheelchairs come to mind, accesable facilities are also a boon to people who use other mobility devices like crutches and walking frames. This is also not due simply to the size of the 'stall', but also because accessability stalls have handles in strategic locations and the toilets are at a more uniform height and are easier to deal with. This also applies to the elderly who may have balance or joint issues as well.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.