This brief study about the power of singing praise songs gave me newfound respect for the church choir!

First, in II Chronicles 20, there is a story about King Jehoshaphat of Judah going up in battle against the tribes of the Moabites, Ammonites, and Meunites. Greatly outnumbered, he fearfully prays for God’s help. The Spirit of the Lord tells him to send out the choir ("those who praise the Lord in holy attire..." II Chr. 20:21) ahead of the army into battle! Read what happened:

"When they began singing and praising, the Lord set ambushes against the sons of Ammon, Moab and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah; so they were routed...For the sons of Ammon and Moab rose up against the inhabitants of Mount Seir destroying {them} completely; and when they had finished with the inhabitants of Seir, they helped to destroy one another." (II Chr. 20:23-24)

Second, in Acts 16, we read about how when Paul and Silas began to sing while shackled in a prison cell, there was a great earthquake that set them free.

"But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; and suddenly there came a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison house were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were unfastened." (Acts 16:25-26)

Thus, we can see two things that come from singing praises to the Lord:
1) The enemy is confused, resulting in miraculous victory.
2) God's power is manifest, resulting in freedom.

Sometimes, it seems people just go through the motions when they are singing in church, but we are talking about God's power manifest here! Everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to sing together in an assembly of other believers.

The only thing is, if you commit yourself to going “all out” in praise and worship, you’d better be ready for the results…an earth-shattering event could ensue!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.