Recent readings concerning physics and chemistry and other scientific things that make me look dorky have made me realize a bit about the natural tendency of the universe to be cold. With recent ass-cold temperatures and my legs freezing solid while waiting a half hour for the already late bus, I've realized something about people fighting the cold, and how it kind of serves as a model for the entire universe.

include <bigbang.h>;

Considering the big band theory true, I think that the natural state of the universe is completely empty, and completely devoid of all particles: a true vacuum. According to various ideas the universe could have actually been this way for an equivalent to a human forever, and no one would know. Either way, the fact that the default universe is absolutely empty really says something about the cold.

Winter is hard for people. It always has been. Sure, there's all kinds of things that exist today to make it much less harsh than in the past, but no matter how you look at it, winter is hard. I am realizing it more and more now that I don't live two blocks from work or school. I have to walk to work most days, and then to school. Actually, what I do is walk to the bus stop, where I stand in the doorway of a closed sub shop, hide from the wind, and postulate this crap. I stand there, freezing, waiting for the erratically scheduled bus to arrive and make me be late to work. Sometimes I catch snowflakes on my (now lost somewhere in some computer lab) gloves. I'll stare at the snowflakes. They'll sit there, solid, until I accidentally (or purposefully on bad days) breathe them to death. It reminds me of the example in a book I just finished (Science Matters by Robert Hazen and James Trefil) explaining how heat transfers from hot to cold. The direction of flow has always kind of mesmerized me. The example in the book explained that your drink gets cold because the ice cubes are actually eating the heat from the liquid. Their temperatures rise though, and that's why they melt.

So with all heat in the universe flowing to eradicate itself "inside" cold, the universe is an eternal struggle for the cold to basically eat all heat. Hence, the universe is a model for an eternal struggle for heat to sustain itself. I love this.

When you're standing at the bus stop, freezing your goddamn balls off, you're not necessarily keeping warm. You are the heat cube (if you can imagine a world of like "heat cubes," where they warm the surroundings instead of cool them), and your body really wants to warm the entire world and more using simply your body heat. Piles and piles of clothes (preferably at least two insulated quilted flannel shirts) are just as much preventing the cold from breaking into you to steal your heat as they are holding that heat in.

The universe is a huge refrigerator. I find beauty in the fact that everything that exists and has a temperature above its own freezing point is a literal warrior against the cold. Your body produces enough heat to maintain a balance. That lizard maintains his balance. The dog maintains its balance. The fight between heat and cold is everlasting, and it truly brings everything together. Hence Universe.

Come on. Give me a hug.

Even more ironic is that we use heat to make actual refrigerators cold...

Now, I don't want to be the typical bastard scientific-minded persnickety dick. But maybe I am one, even if I don't want to. This means that I will point out some things.

The pre-Big Bang Universe (which is in fact a lot of speculation) was neither hot or cold, since temperature is defined in ways that involve mean particle energy, and in illo tempore there were no particles.
You don't actually use heat to make the inside of the refrigerator cold. A fridge is a heat pump that transfers heat from a place to another, by means of a compressible fluid: in the process entropy increases (as always, as always ...) and you get some extra waste heat.
Of course, the Universe is not a refrigerator, because where would it dump the heat ?
And why would the freezing point be significant at all ? Even frozen things have thermal capacity.
Cold, per se, does not exist, and it has no place in physics. The cold is not trying to break into you. As you appropriately say, it is just your heat (or the agitation of the molecules that make up your body) communicating itself to whatever happens to be around you.

Lastly, the lizard is a singularly bizarre example, since it is a cold-blooded animal ... but you must have had reasons for choosing one of our reptilian buddies.

If you really want to feel grandly unified, remember that it all boils down to statistical mechanics, which in turn boils down to entropy. And to the eventual heat death of the Universe, if you can stand the thought.

Nonetheless:

I hug you. Heck, I lived in Pittsburgh, and before I bought longjohns, I nearly lost my butt to frostbite. You deserve a hug. And remember, wear two pairs of socks, thin cotton ones on your feet and thick woolen ones over them.

there, I had told you that this was going to be a party pooper WU, hadn't I ?

you pull me in for a hug,

somehow your arms fit perfectly under mine.

a small classroom, flourescent lights humming like mosquitos on a gentle summer night
the sound of your heartbeat overtakes the ticking of the clock,

and suddenly time doesn't exist.

i close my eyes and stay still.
i focus on your breathing now, and how much closer you are when you inhale.

why can't they all be inhales?

time reintroduces itself;

we pull away but our bodies are relecutant to let go,

like two stubborn puzzle pieces together after the inevitable destruction of a picturesque landscape.
our eyes meet and won't move
i smile lightly, you look down at my lips.
we stay like that for a moment.
then i notice your arms are leaving, because my body yearns for them to come back;

your warmth is fleeting no matter how long you stay.
somehow you didn't kiss me --

it's okay.
we all make
mistakes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.