A children’s book by Mercer Mayer, written in 1968. It is about a young boy who knows there is a monster in his closet, so he waits up late and shoots him with a cork-gun. The monster cries and the boy ends up comforting him, and they become friends.

I remember my younger brother was so scared of the illustration of the monster that he hid this book under his bed for weeks.

NOTE: The following events are 100% fact

I never believed what they told me....

I was never liked the other gullibe, cheeky little kids my age. I never believed anything they told me. Nope. Not me. I had to see it for myself. I didn't believe in the tooth fairy because I never saw her, didn't believe in Elijah because the cup never went down, didn't believe in Santa Claus (but I'm Jewish, so that kinda cancels that one out). Heck, I didn't even believe in God. When I was a young 'un, I was about as skeptic as they come.

I never believed what they told me.....until now

Then one night, that all changed. It was normal enough - my parents tucked me in, turned off the lights, and I settled down comfortably in m bed, preparing to go to sleep after a long day's play. Then I saw it. On my dresser, there was a sizeable greensih blob. It was very bright. And it glowed. It even seemed to move.... I just about wet my pants (which wasn't a strange occurance at the time. I had no idea what it could possibly be. All sorts of conspiracy theories rolled through my head. A monster, an alien, some weird bacteria. I finally decided it was the monster from my closet, based on what the other kids told me. This was my hypothesis - but I was too frightened to move, so I could not confirm my hypothesis.

It seemed to me moving towards me. I got more trepidated by the second. I needed help. Momentarily, curiousity overcame my fear and I raced towards the light, hurriedly flipped the switch looked towards my hamper and.....

Nothing there. I chastised myself for being so foolish and without another glance, flipped the light back off. I looked back at the hamper and there it was again! Only this time it had gotten closer. It had now just reached the floor. I now thought for sure the damn thing was going to eat me alive. I raced towards the light and turned it on a few more times, but I realized that I had to sleep or I would surely die as well. But every time I turned the light back off the monster crept closer. I was at the point of whimpering now, as distressed as a skeptical young person can possibly be. I had seemingly no choice but to lay in bed and awaited my inevitable doom.

Hours must have passed. The monster slowly crept closer and closer to my bed. I was frozen with fear now. My heart started pounding uncontrollable in my chest as it crept up the side of the bed, then onto the covers. The covers! Oh God! The covers!! I thought I was dead when it hit the covers. I peered out from beneath my sheets....

And moonlight hit my face. I almost shouted with relief. I did wet the bed in my joy. The greenish blob was simply the moonlight reflecting through my window. Hah! I knew it all along. I was just pretending to be scared.

I never believed what they told me.....

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.