How much different can this baby be, is what I was thinking. I know I will love this one because he is one of the family, but I will not lie and say he's the cutest if it is not true. This is what I had decided and this is what I truly expected to do.

Guess what. Again I am cut off midplans. Again I am brought up short by my pettiness. What was I thinking, that this baby would not be his own beautiful person? Of course he is.

Fat face. Big blue eyes. Looks like he has escaped from A Bugs Life or Antz. Of course I do not say this out loud to Hannah but if I did she would know I meant it like something good. This fatso is beatiful, I say. He looks nothing like us, did you get a good deal on him at least? We laugh and laugh and he chuckles with us. Happy beautiful boy.

Talker, five months old and crowing and crowing. I am sure he is telling me good stories. I wish I could speak his half-gone language. I wish I knew the secrets he was telling me. I take him from her and walk away into my own quiet corner. Delighted to meet you, Sir Bugeye. Please tell me more jokes. My sister cannot hear what I am saying but she grins triumphantly, I told you you would love my baby. I told you he was worth the trip.

Guess what. So it is another kid. So what. I cannot wait to see this one grow up.

The full transcription of the relevant scene from Full Metal Jacket. It is based on the true creed of a Marine in the United States Marine Corps:
 

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Tonight, you pukes will sleep with your rifles.  You will give your rifle a girl's name because this is the only pussy you people are going to get.  Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over!

...PRAY.
 

MarinesThis is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life.  So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.