Star light, star bright,
Replaced by man-made satellite
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Someday see primeval light.

There are no stars anymore. I go outside after work to walk home... Even the dim lights of our small college campus, always on at night, are enough to prevent any from being seen.

I don't want the children of the future to grow up in a world without stars. But what can we do about it?

Muke -- there are plenty if stars, but one must trade convenience quite frequently for beauty. The lack of lights around your college campus is probably caused by the ambient light of your surrounding area -- you go to school in a urban area no doubt. I myself live outside of one of the ten largest cities in the United States -- half of my sky every night is taken up by a pale orange haze-- it is never dark.

One only sees the stars -- not just the few straggling fucking bright ones, but the little ones, the sea of stars that filled the skies of the ancients, when one gets far enough from the city -- and there they are as beautiful as ever. But the more people that go there, the more highways and homes and headlights that send Edison's legacy into the night sky, the fewer the stars become.

The stars will always be there, but it is our technology and engineering, our great cities, skyscrapers, and airports, that hide them from us. How's that for metaphor?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.