How much is this jacket dear? My husband said it was sixteen somethin. Too much of a deal for a "Guess" jacket...

Is it really? He's over in the little boys' room so I can check up on him. His memory is not what it once was you know...

He was right? Oh! I have to get this! It's for my first great grandchild. I know he's too young for these things to matter, but the name is important to his mama. She can't afford to get fine things like this bein so young. I came to get him some striped overhalls. All I could find was these nine months ones. Do they look big enough?...

He was born in FebUary, FebUary third. I don't want them short overhalls that are twelve months. I want the long ones. It gets cold in Portland. That's where they're livin right now. I'm from Indiana where we wear overhalls. She said twelve months but the boy's father is a shrimpy little man. Bound to be the same for the boy. You think it will work? How much did you say?...

What a deal! I have to get these for him. He's special you know bein the first great grandchild...

DEAR! Over here! Look at the deals I've found!

We have to send them. I'm sure they will fit. I'm so mad at your brother, I told him, I said.."I'm gonna get him some striped overhalls" and wouldn't you know he did too! Well,I'm STILL gonna do it 'cause I said so. I'm glad you agree...

Oh I see your name! I've got a story to tell you...See my name is spelled -EEN at the end. I've always spelled it that way and there was never no trouble over it 'till I retired. I never noticed my social security card said -INE. They wouldn't give me my benefits 'cause the papers weren't filled out right. They told me I had to spell my name right! I told them I was too old to change. They had to change my name on my card. My birth certificate says -INE too. The clerk was so naive, she asked me why I spelled it wrong, I told her I spelled it just the way my mama told me to when I was learnin to write it in grade school. She sent a letter to the government tellin them my mama taught me wrong and I wanted my spellin changed. Imagine that! She thinkin my mama didn't know how to spell my name. She named me!...

He don't have no birth certificate, right dear? Nope, he's got a letter from the Indiana gov'nor himself sayin he was there at the farm the day he was born. There weren't no midwife there. He's real old, ancient even. Only two years older than me.*wink*...

I love your name even if it is spelled wrong. Oh, I'm sorry dear, you can help that other lady a moment...

All done? Thank you so much for listenin to an old woman. I'm happy I got these striped overhalls and Guess jacket. My granddaughter will be so happy. These things matter to her, you know.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.