There's a sort of thin feeling in the sky. Not like when the clouds are wispy,

or when contrails are floating:

It's not visual.

It's an innate piece of baggage we all carry.

It's there from birth, waiting to be opened at the right time. And as soon as this piece of our inner luggage is opened, we immediately look to the sky. And we feel it. The thin feeling. The feeling that the universe itself has folded, like a napkin, and we are on the edge of that folded paper; in space.

We see our old life on one side, as we look down to our left.

Looking down to our right, we see that white light that everyone says you see.

At this point, there is no choice involved. What you see to your left is just a memory. A wonderful memory, but a dream . . . The forces which you might have set in motion in that dream become like fancy. They might have been real. Maybe not.

The family you are about to leave behind, the friends . . . They exist, don't they? Not sure. But you're sure that if they do, they'll all be fine. Because one day they'll be here. . . Looking down to their right. Which is what you do now.

Knowing this makes it easier to accept. It's a thin precipice, and you can't stay here for long. . . You fall to the right (if you're right handed; otherwise reverse the instructions here) and feel that feeling you have had in dreams where you fly. This time it's real.


Those who fear death just don't really want to meet her. She is actually your sweet relief, with pointy, pointy teeth. Those teeth cut deep and leave marks, but marks mean nothing where you're going.

I fear that someone close to me is about to die.
However, I don't fear this for that person;
Rather, I fear the concept,
Don't I?

Like the legs of a gazelle or the branches of a tree. An unencumbered form without excess or waste. Clean free-flowing and fluid. minimalistically shaped to serve a purpose (such as dancing, running or simply living). The elegant verbal cousin of the hungry and scrawny adjective skinny.

Thin (?), a. [Compar. Thiner (?); superl. Thinest.] [OE. thinne, thenne, thunne, AS. þynne; akin to D. dun, G. dunn, OHG. dunni, Icel. þunnr, Sw. tunn, Dan. tynd, Gael. & Ir. tana, W. teneu, L. tenuis, Gr. (in comp.) stretched out, stretched, stretched out, long, Skr. tanu thin, slender; also to AS. enian to extend, G. dehnen, Icel. enja, Goth. anjan (in comp.), L. tendere to stretch, tenere to hold, Gr. to stretch, Skr. tan. 51 & 237. Cf. Attenuate, Dance, Tempt, Tenable, Tend to move, Tenous, Thunder, Tone.]

1.

Having little thickness or extent from one surface to its opposite; as, a thin plate of metal; thin paper; a thin board; a thin covering.

2.

Rare; not dense or thick; -- applied to fluids or soft mixtures; as, thin blood; thin broth; thin air.

Shak.

In the day, when the air is more thin. Bacon.

Satan, bowing low His gray dissimulation, disappeared, Into thin air diffused. Milton.

3.

Not close; not crowded; not filling the space; not having the individuals of which the thing is composed in a close or compact state; hence, not abundant; as, the trees of a forest are thin; the corn or grass is thin.

Ferrara is very large, but extremely thin of people. Addison.

4.

Not full or well grown; wanting in plumpness.

Seven thin ears . . . blasted with the east wind. Gen. xli. 6.

5.

Not stout; slim; slender; lean; gaunt; as, a person becomes thin by disease.

6.

Wanting in body or volume; small; feeble; not full.

Thin, hollow sounds, and lamentable screams. Dryden.

7.

Slight; small; slender; flimsy; wanting substance or depth or force; superficial; inadequate; not sufficient for a covering; as, a thin disguise.

My tale is done, for my wit is but thin. Chaucer.

Thin is used in the formation of compounds which are mostly self-explaining; as, thin-faced, thin-lipped, thin-peopled, thin-shelled, and the like.

Thin section. See under Section.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thin, adv.

Not thickly or closely; in a seattered state; as, seed sown thin.

Spain is thin sown of people. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thin, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Thinned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Thinning.] [Cf. AS. geþynnian.]

To make thin (in any of the senses of the adjective).

 

© Webster 1913.


Thin, v. i.

To grow or become thin; -- used with some adverbs, as out, away, etc.; as, geological strata thin out, i. e., gradually diminish in thickness until they disappear.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.