This node shell title is very close to a famous quote by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Dwight David "Ike" Eisenhower (October 14, 1890 – March 28, 1969) was a five-star general in the United States Army and the 34th President of the United States. After defeating Adlai Stevenson in the 1952 presidential election, his presidency began at noon on January 23,1953 and continued for a second term until January 1961] Eisenhower's tenure in office was the first of any president to commence on that day and time as prescribed by the Twentieth Amendment. He was the last president to be born in the 19th century. During World War II, he served as Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe, with responsibility for planning and supervising the successful invasion of France and Germany in 1944–45, from the Western Front. In 1951, he became the first supreme commander of NATO.(1) He was married to Mamie Doud Eisenhower.


He said: Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.


Some other well remembered quotes include:


  • "We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it."
  • "I thought it completely absurd to mention my name in the same breath as the Presidency."
  • "The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you."
  • "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."
  • "Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him."
  • "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
  • "An atheist is a man who watches a Notre Dame - Southern Methodist University game and doesn't care who wins."
  • "An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows."
  • "Ankles are nearly always neat and good-looking, but knees are nearly always not."
  • "Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the
       dawn of eternal peace."
  • "Any man who wants to be president is either an egomaniac or crazy."
  • "Few women, I fear, have had such reason as I have to think the long sad years of youth were worth living for the sake of middle age."
  • "How far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without?"
  • "Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from
       accepted doctrine.
    As their heirs, may we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. "
  • "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are
       not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."



  • (1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower
    http://inventors.about.com/od/timelines/a/modern.htm
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/d/dwight_d_eisenhower.html

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.