This was one of a series of children's games The Learning Company made in the 80's for the Apple // that were all based on the same basic game engine. All of them are available on the internet as emulator-ready disk images if you know where to look. The engine in question consisted of a bunch of screen-sized rooms. Each room was basically just a grid of icons, most of which were empty and black and represented floor, most of the rest of which were full of a single color and represented wall, and which all together made this kind of orthographic-overhead-perspective 2d world you could move around freely in any direction in. You had a little man icon (it was always the same gender-unclear man, although Think Quick was special in that you had the option of using this pigtailed girl instead..) walking around that you controlled with the keyboard or joystick, and you could make him pick up the other icons and drop them wherever you wanted.

Think Quick was awesome. It was just basically just a series of these crazy mazes. The point of the game was to kill this dragon, but you couldn't kill him yourself, or something, so instead you were going to use a giant knight robot. You were building your giant knight robot by using the somewhat nonconventional method of finding Magic Items and dropping them into a big cauldron, on the theory that if you dropped enough Magic Items a piece of the knight would appear. Strangely enough, this actually worked. You spent the levels moving through mazes and looking for boxes, which would contain either a Magic Item or a piece of the map which you needed to exit the level once you were done. There were also a number of decoy, booby-trapped boxes, and the only way to tell which ones were real was by figuring out the pattern behind the symbols on the boxes. There were also these things called slime worms, which would eat you, and then you'd have to crawl through their intestinal tract to get out. This didn't hurt you, but it was irritating and time-consuming, and time-consuming is bad since each level had a somewhat stringent time limit.

The thing about the mazes was that they had these weird door things set up where if you stepped on certain special floor tiles they would cause certain special wall sections to rearrange themselves. So most of the game was just trying to get to boxes that were behind crazy labyrinths of doors which you had to rearrange in crazy ways to get to, because moving certain wall sections would often require stepping on triggers for wall sections you didn't want to move. It isn't easy to describe-- you have to see it yourself.

The game also had a really powerful built-in level editor, and was supplied with some _really_ difficult alternate levels.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.