The BBC World Service's station identification, uttered almost every hour on the hour, just before their short piece of theme music, "Lillibullero". Then come the 6 time signal beeps, followed by the words, "____ hours Greenwich Mean Time. BBC World Service." Very comforting to hear when you're far from home. Probably has been in use for decades, even before World War II, and perhaps derives from "This is London calling" (2LO's station identification in the 1920s).

Also the name of Associated Newspapers' London Evening Standard website:

www.thisislondon.co.uk

The site contains many of the Standard's stories, archives of features by well-known contributors such as Brian Sewell or Victor Lewis-Smith and a fairly good range of information about London in general.

It is particularly good for entertainement reviews, and is linked to another Associated site - Fish4it, which you can use to look for jobs, property, cars etc. Associated have also bought the domain name thisisbritain, which currently takes you to the same site.

Very comforting indeed. It seems kind of silly, but it's very nice to know when you're far from home, that it still exists, and that some thngs about where you came from will never change.

The BBC News has been something I've watched all my life, I've listened to on the way to work in the morning, when I'm in my garage fiddling with things, and when I'm thousands of miles away from home.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.