Those Who Dig was a band that played in the U.T. Austin area around 1991-92. This was the last of an era for Austin music when "an Austin band" could be identified by the style of music. Alternative percussion, and instruments (bongos, flutes, violas, etc.) and a care-free lyrical style and performance were key factors. The band consisted (according to the TWD CD liner notes) of Matt Hart (vocals, guitar), Meyer Horn (percussion), Kit Pongetti (vocals), Rod Sherwood (guitar), and Matthew Sturges.

Their playing style was along the lines of Ben Folds Five, 10,000 Maniacs or the Mamas and the Papas.

According to Matthew Sturges, three of the five TWDers are in California now. Kit Pongetti and Rod Sherwood moved to LA together in '94. Rod works at a recording studio in Los Angeles and Kit is currently working on the Roseanne show as a production assistant or somesuch. Sturges moved to San Francisco "just to go somewhere different". Matt Hart is now happily studying medicine in NYC and has no intention of returning to music, and Meyer Horn is in med school at the University of Tennessee.

(Much of this information may be outdated - It was current as of November 5, 1996.)

The band's name is probably a reference to the Clint Eastwood movie, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". The line in question is as follows:

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend... those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."


Those Who Dig is also the band's self-titled CD debut:

Those Who Dig (© 1992 Those Who Dig)

Track listing

  1. Mr. Bananahead
  2. The Morning Song
  3. The Kid Knows What You're Up To
  4. Alice
  5. Green Eyes
  6. Bravo
  7. Tonight, the Moon...
  8. Your Best Shirt
  9. Contessa
  10. Louisiana

The liner notes give a rather broader indication of who is in the band, or at least involved with the album.

Those Who Dig are:

Matt Hart ~ lead & backing vocals, six & twelve string guitars, mandolin, piano
Meyer Horn ~ backing vocals, drums, percussion
Kit Pongetti ~ lead & backing vocals, percussion
Rod Sherwood ~ backing vocals, electric & acoustic guitars, piano
Matthew Sturges ~ bass guitar, bass cabulator, piano

Additional Musicians:
Mark Blair ~ piano on "Louisiana"
Chris Searles ~ percussion on "Tonight, the Moon..." & "The Kid Knows What You're Up To"
Will Taylor ~ viola on "Louisiana"
Jim Wilson ~ golden throat on "Bravo"


Reference:

Website: Rollerfeet (http://www.rollerfeet.com/etrigan/wu/defunct_bands/twd/)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.