Here's a chili recipe I came up with in residence. It's a lot thicker than most chilis due to the fact that I use stewing beef. Any other cubed beef will work too. I don't care much for ground beef, except in hamburgers, and I find the stewing beef to be much more satisfying. Of course, one could always leave out the meat or substitute for another meat.

I like to eat this with toasted tortilla chips, I don't care much for the texture of beans. The crunchyness of the chips takes some of the edge off. I should also say that I don't really keep track of measurements, I eyeball everything and season to taste... nor do I keep track of cooking time, I sort of poke around to see when it's done.

Ingredients
2 28oz can of tomatoes, roma, diced
1 12oz can of chick peas
1 12ozcan of red kidney beans
1/2 12oz can of black beans
1 can of corn
1 lb cubed beef
Chili Powder
Cumin
Hot Sauce (tabasco, dave's insanity sauce etc.)
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of diced garlic
salt and pepper

Method to this Madness

1. Open all the cans
2. heat some oil in a wok or large sauce pan
3. cook onions, garlic, and chili powder until onions
transluce and the mixture is aromatic
4. add beef, sear for approx. 30 seconds, then stir until meat begins to brown
5. add tomatoes, bring to a boil
6. add beans and corn
7. add hot sauce to taste, cook until meat is tender

Keep in mind throughout the whole time you should be seasoning with the salt and pepper. It's ok to taste your food. While it's cooking it may be necessary to add water or tomato juice of the chili gets too thick.

I also like to add half a bar of milk chocolate to balance the flavours.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.