If you use magick, you must take advantage of natural cycles and notice what's going on in the world around you. Your natural energy will be enhanced and amplified if you take care to direct it at the appropriate times. Here I will discuss appropriate timing for spellcrafting and all things magickal.

Moon Phases

The moon's phase can be a good booster for any spell you're working on. Cast spells that have to do with enhancing or creating or growing in the waxing phase (as the moon grows closer to full). Cast spells that are the most difficult or need the most magickal boost at the full moon (either the day before or the day of the full moon--some say the day after works too, but it may be a slight waning influence). Cast spells that involve lessening, destroying, or separating during the waning phase (as the moon grows closer to new). Cast spells of inner truth or no spells at all at the new moon, or use this period for meditation or divination.

Sun Phases

Use the times of day to also give boosts to your magick. Certain rituals can be worked best at certain times of day that correspond to a Sabbat, and it can be helpful to use the time of day to help with a spell too. Perform magick at sunrise if it has to do with new beginnings or fresh starts, or rejuvination. Perform magick in the morning to encourage growth and courage, and it's good energy for family matters. Perform magick at noon if it needs the biggest male-energy boost or if it has to do with physical work or strength, healing, or working diligently with the mind. Also use noon energy for charging tools. Perform magick in the afternoon if it has to do with travel or changing of residence, or if you need a boost for business matters or employment. Perform magick at sunset that has to do with reducing or removing influences, and contemplation.

Winds

You can use the wind to add strength to your spells. If you find that one day the wind happens to be blowing from a certain direction, you may find a way to use that influence. Figuring out which way the wind's blowing from is as easy as getting a windsock and a compass. When the wind blows from the north, the appropriate spellwork might be those things that deal with practical matters, such as money or levelheadedness or planning. When the wind blows from the east, the appropriate spellwork might be those things involving change and rejuvination, and catalystic spells, as well as artistic and spiritual endeavors. When the wind blows from the south, the appropriate spellwork deals with the passionate world and any spells that have to do with emotion at all. When the wind blows from the west, the appropriate spellwork has to do with healing and fertility (both literal and figurative), as well as matters having to do with intuition.

Days of the Week

Supposedly, different days of the week have particular planetary alliances and vibrations that can add oomph to your spells. Sunday is for business and friendships. Monday is for women's and family issues and the intuition, and travel. Tuesday is for men's and strength issues, and competition and perseverance. Wednesday is for literary and artistic matters and studying, reading, or teaching. Thursday is for the material world and success, sometimes luck. Friday is for pleasure and happiness, and love. Saturday is for exploring the mysteries and expelling the unpleasant.

Always try to work with whatever natural influences you can; a storm might add something to your work, or any astrological or heavenly influences. If a natural condition inspires you, work with it, use it! But remember also that this is not a set of rules; if you have a travel-related spell to do and it isn't practical to wait until Monday to do it, don't wait; just remember that supposedly Monday's the best day, if you have a choice. Make the best of what you've got, but don't let it imprison your choices either.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.