I'm sure that many of us here at E2 at one point in time have had to or will have to go job hunting. I am going through the process right now, and I am going to node some advice that I have found while searching.

  1. If you are fresh out of college (like me), the worst place you can go to find work is through a recruiting agency or headhunter service. Many times, the employers use recruiters and headhunters to fill a vital position within the company that requires a person with experience in the industry the company works in. If you are experienced in a specific area, and want to get out of that rut, the employment agency can be your best friend for the above reason.

  2. Diversify your skills. Many times, you will not be able to get an immediate job offer upon graduation from college or from leaving your previous job. If you diversified your skills, you will be more marketable in your job search. For example, I studied computer science while in college, and I also own and operate a business part-time. Using these two sets of skills, I am able to market myself for jobs in programming and in administration or clerical because I know to program computers, and I know what it takes to operate a successful business.

  3. Network! Go attend job fairs. Many employers send their HR representatives or department heads to job fairs, knowing that they will get names and resumes from prospective employees. Sometimes the best jobs are found through networking.

  4. Use the Internet. Job offers are posted everywhere. Common places to go are Monster.com or to the websites of recruiting agencies. Many states also have employment websites that you can search for jobs. Large corporations will often times keep a separate portion of their website reserved for job vacancies within the company.

  5. Look professional. Even when you are stopping in at a company, asking if they are hiring, do not walk in the door dressed in street clothes. Wear clothing that would match up with the job that you want to have. In many cases, this means a collared shirt and dress pants or a suit for men, and a blouse and skirt of appropriate length or pants or a suit for women. Make sure your hair is neatly groomed. You don't want to walk into an office looking like you just got out of bed. Also practice personal hygeine on a regular basis. Employers won't like it if you smelled like a locker room after a basketball game.

  6. Have a good resume. Many colleges and universities have career centers where you can visit with a career counselor and have him/her review your resume and make suggestions as to how you can improve it. If you did not attend college, there are books available on resume writing that you can use as references in creating your resume. Also, have a friend or a relative who is knowledgeable in hiring practices review your resume so it will make it past the resume jockeys in HR of the company that you plan on working for.

  7. If you are selected for an interview, refer back to #5 on this list. During the interview, answer the questions the interviewer asks in a manner that will make him/her believe that you will help the company achieve its goals instead of having the company help you achieve your goals. After the interview, follow up with the interviewer with either a personal letter or a phone call thanking him/her for their time.

By following the above steps, you should be able to find the best jobs in your geographical area and in your profession with relative ease.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.