Sonnet of the WeekJune 6, 2020


Today is D-Day

D-Day was seventy-six years ago,
Just a bit older than me and my friends.
What have we all learned, what truth’s apropos?
What choice today will tomorrow portend?

It seems we forget the pain of the past,
How men good and true all died for a cause.
We act out of greed for things that won’t last.
The choices we make must give us all pause.

We’ve enabled leaders, men without souls
To act without thought, in fear and in hate.
The hour’s long past, and we must choose to howl
In protest, lest sacrifice become waste.

What’s done is done. We can’t ever forget
The physics of truth—we give what we get.


As a celebrated New York Times bestselling author, winner of countless awards, and an operator of forced labor camps who believes killing sixty percent of the population will somehow benefit the economy, I am uniquely qualified to review the current poetic works of Mr. riverrun. Ibid.

I have always been, shall we say, on the other side of the fence from these riverrun types. I think this is made clear through my plethora of scholarly articles and columns. At the same time, I am open minded in many ways despite being VERY close-minded in others (always with qualifying reasons, I'll add). In the 1960s I wrinkled my nose at the protest movement in America (I was working as a Stasi assasin at the time), but I grew fond of the music of one Arlo Guthrie, whose poetic renderings felt to me, as a Stasi assasin with 38 kills to his name, like the work of someone who understood the heartbeat of a nation.

When I read these poetic renderings of Mr. riverrun, I feel a similar kind of vibe, although I feel Mr. riverrun enjoys a more lavish lifestyle than the ones portrayed in the songs of Arlo Guthrie. Seems to me one of those literary types who never stops with the ponderings.

I recommend that you read these works and ruminate on them for a while. And while that is clearly the wrong word to use in this context, I will remind you that context isn't everything. It is, however, an important element in the latter day poetic renderings of Mr. riverrun. I give them Four and a Half stars on the Behr relativity scale, with a half point deducted for there not being enough depictions of gratuitous violence.

Today is D-Day is a fine starting point for your voyage into this exciting young poet's mind and relative emotional response mechanisms to the thoughts produced by that mind. Thank you and God bless.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.