Hero, 1969-2001

Beamer was an Oracle Inc executive, and passenger aboard hijacked United Airlines Flight 93 on September 11, 2001. Todd called a GTE operator using a cell phone during the hijacking and described the situation:
  • Three hijackers were on the plane, armed with knives. One appeared to be wearing a bomb.
  • The pilot and co-pilot had been forced from the cockpit, and possibly wounded.
  • Passengers had been segregated into two groups, one at front and one at rear. Todd was in the latter, which was guarded by the bomb wearer.
  • The plane was flying erratically and changed directions numerous times.
  • The passengers were aware of the other terrorist acts, and decided to rebel against the hijackers. They conspired to "jump on" the bomb wearing hijacker.
The last words he was heard saying, at the end of a telephone conversation with GTE operator Lisa Jefferson, were: "Are you guys ready? Let's roll."

All 44 people aboard the flight died when the plane crashed. Of the four hijacked planes on September 11, only Flight 93 resulted in no lives lost on the ground. The plane never reached its intended target, whatever it was.

Todd Beamer is survived by his wife, Lisa Beamer, two sons, David and Drew, and a daughter, Morgan Kay, born January 9, 2002.

Sources:
http://www.beamerfoundation.org
http://flight93.org/beamer.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.