Tofu Stew:

This is a dish I recently experimented with which turned out surprisingly well considering the complete lack of forethought that went into it. First go to your local grocer and pick up any produce you like. I used cabbage, tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, jalapenos, onions, garlic, and green peppers (the only vegetables that you really need are potatoes). You'll also need about 1 kg (or so) of canned, diced tomatoes and a can of soup (any kind you like though I used tomato, it was all we had) wouldn't hurt. Finally, get yourself some medium-firm tofu, about 1 kg of that depending on how much you want to make.

Next, dice everything except the garlic which should be peeled and chopped as fine as possible or pressed if you have a garlic press.

Throw it all in a pot.

You may need more than one pot.

Add a bit of oil to the mix and stir.

Add water so that you've almost got a very hearty soup and let it come to a boil. At this point it might be a good idea to add:

some salt and pepper

some chili powder for those who like it hot.

some garlic powder

rosemary

anything else that sounds good. We threw in some hot peppers to add flavour... do what you like.

Let it come to a boil for a few minutes and then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about two hours or until your satisfied and the potatoes (and carrots) are cooked. The tofu should have lost it's shape and be floating uneasily throughout your stew.

If you have the energy or a spare burner, serve over rice.

I did this with some friends yesterday, the whole thing cost $27 and made enough to fill one very large tupperware, three big ones, and a big glass bowl.

Bon appetite.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.