INGREDIENTS:

One large sweet yellow onion, diced and minced
5 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 large cans, diced roma tomatoes (preferably Cento Chef's Cut roma tomatoes)
3 large cans, whole peeled roma tomatoes (preferably Cento roma tomatoes)
One tube, roma tomato paste
30 oz. tomato purée
One box: Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth
Two bunches of celery, sliced at varying degrees of thickness
Cayenne powder
Crushed red pepper
Sea salt
Dried oregano
Dried rosemary
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
One stick butter
Two wedges of parmigiano reggiano cheese
10 large leaves, fresh basil (shredded by hand)
3 sprigs fresh oregano
3 sprigs fresh thyme

PREPARATION:

1. Heavily coat the bottom of a large stockpot with extra virgin olive oil, and add the stick of butter.

2. Add the diced yellow onion and set the heat to medium high, stirring frequently.

3. Once the onion has become translucent and the butter has fully melted (approximateily 10 min), add the celery. Stir thoroughly, and allow to continue cooking at medium-high for another 10 minutes. You may need to add a little more olive oil (around two splashes)

4. Add a pinch of cayenne powder, and dried oregano, rosemary, and crushed red pepper to taste.

5. Add the diced and whole tomatoes, stir thoroughly. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to boil (5-10 min)

6. Add the tomato paste and purée. Stir thoroughly.

7. Add the peeled garlic.

8. Add the entire box of vegetable broth, and 6 cups of water.9. Salt lightly and add a little freshly ground black pepper, continue salting to taste

10. Turn burner to high and allow the entire mixture to reach a slow boil.

11. Once it has reached a boil, reduce heat to LOW and simmer for 2 hours.

12. While simmering, grate and add the wedge of parmigiano reggiano. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the soup. Use the stirring spoon to cover the cheese with soup and stir thoroughly. This procedure prevents the cheese caking onto the spoon.

13. Allow to cool and serve with grated parmigiano reggiano on the side.

Optional:

Separately cook a box of orecchiette pasta. Do not include in the soup itself, as the pasta will absorb water and become bloated. Add pasta into bowls while serving.

ENJOY!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.