from the Cambridge Latin Course, Stage 3

The barber works in the shop. The barber is Pantagathus. Caecilius enters.
"Hello, barber!" says Caecilius.
"Hello!" responds the barber.

The barber is busy. An old man sits in the chair. Pantagathus is holding the razor and trimming the beard. The old man is intently looking at the razor.
A poet enters the shop. The poet stands in the shop and recites a poem. Caecilius laughs, but the barber does not laugh. The poem is obscene; the barber is mad.

"Scoundrel! Crook!" yells Pantagathus. The old man is terrified. The barber is not holding the razor. The barber cuts the old man. Much blood flows.
Caecilius gets up and leaves the shop.


tonsor in taberna laborat. tonsor est Pantagathus. Caecilius intrat.
"salve, tonsor!" inquit Caecilius.
"salve!" respondet Pantagathus.
tonsor est occupatus. senex in sella sedet. Pantagathus novaculam tenet et barbam tondet. senex novaculum intente spectat.
poeta tabernam intrat. poeta in taberna stat et versum recitat. Caecilius ridet, set tonsor non ridet. versus est scurrilis; tonsor est iratus.
"furcifer! furcifer!" clamat Pantagathus. senex est perterritus. tonsor barbam non tondet. tonsor senem secat. multus sanguis fluit.
Caecilius surgit et e taberna exit.

Ton"sor (?), n. [L.]

A barber.

Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.