Also (n.) the instruments and tools used in a production line to produce a particular item. In order to produce a different item, the line must be retooled. Includes not only standard machinery (jigs, drills, saws, lasers, wave-solder machines, what-have-you) but more importantly the measurements, routines and special tools made for that particular design. These might include templates, bits/blades, programming, etc.

Cost of tooling up for the first production run of a product is usually included in the acquisition cost but not the production cost.

Tooling, or stamping, is the process of indenting materials (most often leather) with a heated tool. The tool can be anything, from a simple brass rod to an elaborate handle letter or fillet. A tooled impression may be filled with metal, darkened, or a simple indentation in the surface of the leather.

Although tooling is generally performed on leather, it can also be used to decorate any compressible material. Vellum is suitable for both blind and gold tooling. Most fabrics and papers will gold tool well, but should not be blind tooled. (Queen Elizabeth I had her entire library bound in gold tooled velvet, a most spectacular sight by all accounts.)

Tooling is used in a variety of crafts. Saddle and belt makers often blind tool their work. The monogrammed initials often available for luggage are a form of tooling. And bookbinders have used blind and gold tooling to decorate their covers for centuries.

Tool"ing, n.

Work perfomed with a tool.

The fine tooling and delicate tracery of the cabinet artist is lost upon a building of colossal proportions. De Quincey.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.