I just saw Tracy Chapman at Mixfest 2000 in Boston this weekend and DAMN! that woman can sing and play guitar. I had to change my pants afterward. During every single song she played, I'm sure I was drowning in every emotion she intended me to feel when she wrote it. I practically cried during Fast Car and danced my ass off during Give Me One Reason, which was an amazing double version of the song, the first half of which was the original song, as you all know it, and second half, which she entered into without a second thought and with a mischevious grin on her face, was the same song, complete down to the chord changes only done at about double the tempo and with fascinating energy.
I had been a fan of her's before, but I'm hooked now and I would love to have a bootleg of that performance. We'll see if that ever happens.
Tracy Chapman was born on March 20, 1964 in Cleveland, Ohio. She learned to play the ukulele, piano and guitar in her youth, and eventually she began writing songs. She went to Tufts University in Boston on a minority placement scholarship. There, she studied African culture and anthropology.

While in school, Chapman performed at local coffeehouses in Harvard Square. Her moving vocals and fresh folk sound got her signed with Elektra Records in 1987, and her debut album, containing the major single “Fast Car,” was a huge hit. Chapman was and is a major supporter for social causes, specifically those of human rights and racial equity. She won Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance at the Grammy Awards in 1989, and Best Contemporary Folk Recording in 1997 for “Give Me One Reason.”

Her albums include: Debut album “Tracy Chapman,” “Crossroads,” “Matters of the Heart,” “New Beginning,” and “Telling Stories.”

Help for this node came from progressiverockers.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.